Convergence of Data and Computing Task Force
Public materials produced and curated for this task force include:
- The Opportunities and Challenges for Next Generation Computing white paper
- The Accelerating Science: A Computing Research Agenda white paper
- The 21st Century Computer Architecture in 2012 white paper
- The Future of Computing Performance: Game Over or Next Level? white paper
- Federal Big Data Initiative
The CCC task force on the Convergence of Data and Computing leads activities at the intersections of Big Data, High Performance Computing, and the future of HPC.
Big Data has been a major theme of CCC’s over the years. In 2008, the CCC held two events for Big Data that coalesced the research community and the usage community. A number of CCC’s white papers focused on the topic. These have been credited by the Office of Science Technology Policy (OSTP) with helping to shape the Federal Big Data Initiative.
On the other hand, computing challenges have been discussed in CCC and National Academy works, such as 21st Century Computer Architecture in 2012 and The Future of Computing Performance: Game Over or Next Level? in 2011.
Data and Computing White Papers
- Opportunities and Challenges for Next Generation Computing
- Discusses potential opportunities enabled by radical increases in computing performance with decreased power, and which suggests some possible pathways to achieve these ends. With increased performance and decreased power, computing could have major impacts on societal issues such as new search engines for science, better understanding of human-in-the-loop systems, monitoring and anticipating of extreme weather conditions, and understanding quantum effects in materials and chemistry.
- Accelerating Science: A Computing Research Agenda
- Seeks to articulate a research agenda for developing cognitive tools that can augment human intellect and partner with humans on the scientific process.