Travel Support for Women in Research Labs
Are you a researcher in industry or a government lab interested in attending a conference but having difficulty finding the funding?
This project supports women for whom traveling to a conference/workshop without financial support from one’s employer would constitute a hardship, and where attending the event would provide valuable opportunities to network and grow professionally.
CRA-W will provide full or partial support for actual travel expenses to conferences or workshops in the applicant’s area of research. Travel to CS-related summer schools for the purpose of learning technical material is also covered. Up to $2000 ($3000 for international conferences) will be available per trip. If the applicant’s employer is able to cover part of the cost, CRA-W will reimburse the remaining amount of actual expenses, up to the limit. However, support from the home institution is not required to apply for this program.
In order to be eligible for this program, the applicant must:
- Be a full-time or part-time female employee of a corporate-funded or government-funded research laboratory in the US or Canada.
- Provide evidence of being an active researcher, either by having a PhD granted from an accredited institution and/or a record of publications in academic conferences/journals.
- Conducting research in a subfield of computer science, or be traveling to a conference related to computer science.
* Students are not eligible for this program.
Travel funds are provided by the CRA-W organization, therefore the conference or the applicant’s research must be in an area related to computer science. The applicant’s home institution must be located in the U.S. or Canada. Travel grants are limited to one per person per calendar year.
Preference is given to women just starting out in a research career. Preference is also given to women who have not previously received travel funding through CRA-W. For questions regarding eligibility, please e-mail email@example.com.
Travel funding is limited to two women per conference event. If more than two women apply to attend the same conference, subsequent applications cannot be funded. If you are planning to attend a large or popular conference, please check with the organizers before submitting your application.
To apply for a CRA-W Travel Support grant, please send Application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Since conferences occur throughout the year, applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
A panel of CRA-W members will consider each application and make a decision within 4 weeks of receiving the application.
To apply for a CRA-W Travel Support grant, please send the following materials to email@example.com:
- A current CV
- A personal statement (1 page) explaining why attending this conference/workshop is important to you
- A letter from your supervisor at your home institution attesting you are a full- or part-time employee of a corporate-funded or government-funded research lab, and that your institution cannot cover the full costs of your travel to this event.
- A budget estimating the costs for attending the meeting; see Budget tab.
If accepted, reasonable uncovered travel expenses will be reimbursed, up to a limit of $2000 (or $3000 for international conferences). Grant recipients are encouraged to volunteer their time to the CRA-W (e.g., serving on a panel at a workshop, helping judge future grant applications, mentoring younger women).
Please provide a detailed and realistic budget including:
- Conference Registration
International travel is acceptable. You should plan to stay in the conference hotel or a reasonable priced hotel. If part of your travel costs can be covered by your employer, state the amount clearly. Decisions will be made based on the amount of funds available to the program, as well as our evaluation of whether the amount requested is appropriate. Please send the budget as part of the application to firstname.lastname@example.org.