New Jersey Institute of Technology
The Ying Wu College of Computing
Professor of Practice for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
The Ying Wu College of Computing (YWCC) at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) seeks a dynamic individual to serve as Professor of Practice, responsible for the innovation and entrepreneurial programs of the College. A Professor of Practice is a non-tenure track position dedicated mostly to educational activities, filled by individuals with a strong practical orientation. Reporting directly to the Dean and working closely with the college faculty and students, the Professor will develop and implement entrepreneurial programs dedicated to Information Technologies. The Professor will develop basic and advanced academic courses in entrepreneurship, build a robust support network in the NJ and NYC entrepreneurial eco-systems, promote and support innovation and entrepreneurial ventures among the College students and faculty, deal with Intellectual Property issues, and liaison with other relevant departments at NJIT, including the Office of Sponsored Research Administration and the Martin Tuchman School of Management.
The Professor will work closely with the new Dean of the College – Craig Gotsman – in implementing his vision for the College to play a prominent role in the NY/NJ academic and tech community. This is a strong priority for NJIT also among the university leadership.
YWCC, consisting of the Computer Science Department and the Informatics Department, is the largest generator of computing talent in the tri-state area. It enrolls 2,700 students at all levels (approximately a quarter of NJIT’s enrollment) and graduates more than 750 computing professionals every year. The College has strong connections with local industry and work closely with many corporations through student Capstone projects, internships, and joint R&D projects.
NJIT is New Jersey’s Science and Technology University, enrolling some 12,000 students in all STEM disciplines, 24% of them in YWCC. The NJIT campus is located in the University Heights section of Newark, the largest city in New Jersey, only 12 miles from New York City. New Jersey is home to a large number of industries, including several Fortune 100 and 500 companies. NJIT operates on campus, through its New Jersey Innovation Institute (NJII), the Enterprise Development Center (EDC), home to close to 90 startups.
- Develop academic training courses, mostly for YWCC students, in entrepreneurship, focusing on information technologies.
- Implement events and training seminars/clinics/forums in entrepreneurship.
- Support and mentor the spinoff of commercial ventures, based on scientific activities, among students and faculty, while still on campus.
- Support, monitor and track fresh College spinoffs leaving campus.
- Build a robust support network of mentors and advisors in the NJ/NY entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Serve as a bridge between the College and the broader NJ/NY tech ecosystem.
- Support patenting and intellectual property (IP) protection in the College and negotiate its licensing to spinoffs.
- Maintain a productive relationship and liaison with NJIT’s Office of Sponsored Research Administration, the School of Management and the affiliated New Jersey Innovation Institute (NJII).
- Identify and secure government/foundation/corporate funding and sponsorship opportunities for innovation and entrepreneurship.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. MBA an advantage. Experience in research an advantage.
- Some experience in education/training/mentoring.
- At least five years experience working in product development, business development, team building and raising capital in a commercial startup environments, preferably as the founder of a venture.
- Some experience in patenting.
- At least three years experience supporting innovation and entrepreneurship (e.g. as a venture capitalist or accelerator/incubator manager). Experience in an academic environment an advantage.
- Familiarity with the NJ and NYC entrepreneurial eco-systems, including the business, venture capital and legal communities.
- Creative out-of-the-box thinker.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- People person.
- Inspiring, friendly, outgoing and service-oriented.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.njit.edu and search for req2.
To build a diverse workforce, NJIT encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women. EEO employer.
NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
University Heights, Newark, NJ 07102-1982