Cybersecurity and Cybertrust Task Force
This task force was created in fall 2020 and focuses on topics related to cybersecurity, privacy, and information provenance.
Resources curate for this task force include:
5G Security and Privacy – A Research Roadmap
In March 2020 the CCC released the 5G Security and Privacy – A Research Roadmap white paper by CCC Council Member Elisa Bertino (Purdue University), Syed Rafiul Hussain (Purdue University), and Omar Chowdhury (University of Iowa).
Abstract: Cellular networks represent a critical infrastructure and their security is thus crucial. 5G – the latest generation of cellular networks – combines different technologies to increase capacity, reduce latency, and save energy. Due to its complexity and scale, however, ensuring its security is extremely challenging. In this white paper, we outline recent approaches supporting systematic analyses of 4G LTE and 5G protocols and their related defenses and introduce an initial security and privacy roadmap, covering different research challenges, including formal and comprehensive analyses of cellular protocols as defined by the standardization groups, verification of the software implementing the protocols, the design of robust defenses, and application and device security.
For citation use: Bertino E., Hussain S. R., & Chowdhury O. (2020) 5G Security and Privacy – A Research Roadmap https://cra.org/ccc/resources/ccc-led-whitepapers/
Internet of Things White Papers
Robust and Secure Systems
- NSF Cyber-Physical Systems Virtual Organization
- IOActive white paper “An Emerging US (and World) Threat: Cities Wide Open to Cyber-Attacks”, 2015,
- FBI Public Service Announcement about IoT and cyber-crime (Sept. 10, 2015)
- UN ITU (International Telecommunication Union) / GSR (Global Symposium for Regulators) report entitled “GSR discussion paper: Regulation and the Internet of Things”, June 2015
- Silicon Industry Association (SIA) / Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) report on “Rebooting the IT Revolution: A Call to Action”, August 2015, with specific recommendations for funding areas to accelerate the Internet of Things impact
- Brian Mosley’s CRA blog post about this (9/2/2015)
- NSF/Intel IoT partnership
- McKinsey Report: “Unlocking the Potential of the Internet of Things”
- FTC report on IoT: Privacy and Security (January 2015)
- 2006 talk by Helen Gill from the National Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems
- John Apostolopoulos (Cisco) presentation “New Networked Applications with the Internet of Things: Technology Challenges and Opportunities”