Relocation Travel

     The DREU program covers the cost (up to a maximum of $500) for the student to relocate to/from the mentor’s institution, if different from the student’s institution, at the beginning and end of the mentorship. Any special circumstances, such as travel costs more than $500 or travel that is not roundtrip between the student’s home institution (or home, if in the USA) and their mentor’s institution, requires approval by the CRA in advance..

For Relocation Travel by Airplane

Arrangements for the student’s relocation air travel to the mentor’s institution (if different from the student’s institution) must be made by completing the travel request task in the DREU Program Site..

Friendly Travel will be informed of which students have had their signed Letters of Agreement and W-9 forms formalizing their participation in the DREU program. It may take the travel agency a day or two to get this information. The travel agents will assist in selecting, booking, and delivering a student’s air travel tickets. CRA will handle the billing of a student’s tickets. STUDENTS SHOULD NOT CHARGE TICKETS TO THEIR OWN CREDIT CARDS.

If a student knows the exact length of their stay, they they should arrange for a round-trip, early purchase fare. Friendly Travel will not book first-class or business-class tickets.

In addition, students can use part of the $500 relocation budget to cover their ground transportation costs to/from the airport.

For Relocation Travel by Public Transportation, Rental Car, or Personal Vehicle

If a student relocates via public transportation, (bus, train, rental car, or personal vehicle) they should pay for the travel themselves and request reimbursement. Note that students are expected to select the most economical form of travel, and that the $500 maximum, still applies.

NOTE: Mileage rate covers the estimated cost to travel per mile (gasoline, wear and tear on vehicle, etc.). Participants are not allowed to claim both the mileage rate and cost for gasoline.

To request reimbursement for this type of travel, students should follow the following guidelines:

    • Save all original receipts
    • Complete an itemized CRA Expense Reimbursement Form. You should describe your travel details (from/to location, dates, etc.) and include the address where your reimbursement payment should be sent.
    • Send the completed Expense Form and receipts to (Refer to CRA Reimbursement Guidelines)
      NOTE: students who are driving their personal vehicle should claim mileage for each mile traveled.

For any questions please email