University of California, Irvine
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Assistant Director, Center for ProperData
The University of California, Irvine is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director to assist the management and operations of the Center for “Protecting Personal Data Flow on the Internet” (ProperData). ProperData is a new center-scale research project funded by the National Science Foundation, with the goal of advancing personal data privacy and transparency via innovative technical and policy solutions. The Center brings together a group of researchers from four US universities (UC Irvine, UC Davis, USC and Northeastern) and several areas in computer science (privacy, security, networking, Internet-of-Things, mobile devices, machine learning) as well as collaborators from the industry and the policy sectors. For details about ProperData, please see: http://properdata.eng.uci.edu
The Assistant Director will perform professional and administrative duties to support the operations, management, and collaborative activities of the ProperData Center, including the following:
- Collaboration support: facilitate research collaboration and coordinate interactions across the four US partner universities, as well as with industry and policy partners, external advisors, sponsors; lead the implementation of center initiatives and projects, such as the call for seed collaborative projects, hackathons, collaborative proposals and documents for release.
- Events coordinator: lead and organize all aspects of ProperData research, education and outreach events, including but not limited to: the annual multi-day research symposium; virtual or in-person seminars and workshops; outreach events in coordination with the Office of Access and Inclusion (OAI), hackathons.
- Communications director: lead and coordinate the online presence of the center; serve as the liaison between the PIs and various communications teams (e.g., school media, website and graphic designers) to produce and disseminate promotional materials (e.g. newsletter, Twitter posts, website updates, etc).
- Data tracking and reporting: track the progress of research, education and outreach activities toward the Center’s goals; organize and assist in the preparation of the annual reports for NSF.
- Administrative support: manage communication and meetings (scheduling, agendas, minutes, calendars); monitor budgets, purchasing and reimbursement; make travel arrangements for conferences, meetings, visits and exchanges for researchers; oversee routine activities and resolve problems; prioritize and efficiently process administrative issues to ensure all deadlines are met and short and long terms plans are appropriately completed.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and years of experience. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and provide the names and contact information of at least two references, and any additional information to the following: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF06686.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and provide the names and contact information of at least two references and any additional information (optional) at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF06686.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For maximum consideration please apply by May 28th, 2021.
Inquiries should be addressed to the Principal Investigator: Professor Athina Markopoulou (email@example.com).
UC Irvine is part of the premier public university system in the world. UCI is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), is ranked as a top-10 public university by U.S. News and World Report, and was identified by the New York Times as No. 1 among U.S. universities that do the most for low-income students. UCI is located in Orange County, four miles from the Pacific Ocean and 45 miles south of Los Angeles. Irvine is one of the safest communities in the U.S. and offers a very pleasant year-round climate, numerous recreational and cultural opportunities, and one of the highest-ranked public school systems in the nation.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.