University of Wisconsin-Madison
Medicne/ UW ICU Data Science Lab
Drs. Matthew Churpek, MD, PhD, Anoop Mayampurath, PhD, and Majid Afshar, MD, MS, of the University of Wisconsin Critical Care Medicine (ICU) Data Science Lab, are seeking a post-doctoral research associate to contribute to cutting-edge research in the field of Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, time series data analysis, and clinical informatics with a focus in artificial intelligence for developing multimodal decision support tools using electronic health record data. Join a unique lab of physician-scientists, clinical informatics experts, computational linguistic experts, biostatisticians, engineers, and computer scientists to innovate and develop models that are closely linked to healthcare practice with opportunities to implement your work into real-time and impact patient outcomes.
We are looking for a candidate who could fill an applied machine learning role in our lab, with a focus on Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, and time series data analysis. The individual will use machine learning and computational methods for representing and analyzing data from the electronic health record, with a focus on structured EHR data and potentially data from clinical notes, for clinical applications to improve health outcomes in hospitalized and critically ill patients. The diversity of subject matter will require a candidate with a background in Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning (including time series data analysis), health information technology, and data management to derive and validate clinical decision support tools for the electronic health record. The Research Associate will be expected to lead manuscripts, present at both clinical and AI conferences, and participate in multicenter collaborations under close mentorship.
· PhD degree in computer science, computer/electrical engineering, biomedical informatics, information science, computational linguistics, or a closely related field.
· Experience in the field area of Reinforcement Learning is required.
· Additional experience in Deep Learning (including time series data analysis) and machine learning is required.
· Experience with natural language processing is encouraged.
· Experience in healthcare research is encouraged with an ability to plan and carry out research experiments and projects in the clinical arena.
· Strong programming experience (e.g., Python, Java, R).
· Strong written and oral communication skills required.
· Ability to work both independently and as a team player.
· Proficiency with Git for project management.
Begin Date: As soon as possible. Likely March 2024. The position is renewable annually.
Percent Time: 100%
Salary: Competitive for the field of health informatics and computer science.
Interested candidates should email the following application materials to Madeline Oguss, firstname.lastname@example.org:
§ Cover letter/summary statement of personal objective and research interests.
§ Curriculum Vitae
Note: Three letters of reference or reference contact information will be requested of finalists