Khoury College of Computer Sciences
Position Title Professor of the Practice and Global Director of the Align Program
Requisition Number FTFR001217
Division/College Khoury College of Computer Sciences
Interdisciplinary Division/College Not Applicable
Location Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time Full Time
Benefits Eligible Yes
Tenure Status Non Tenure Track
Posting Date 02/06/2019
Align’s mission is to close America’s tech diversity gap. To do so, we are reinventing Computer Science post-graduate education by scaling an innovative experiential masters in computer science for non-computer science majors. Scaling Align is a priority initiative of Northeastern University’s Khoury College of Computer Sciences.
Women represent more than 50% of all bachelor’s degree recipients but only 18% of CS graduates. Similarly, underrepresented minorities represent 25% of all bachelor’s degree recipients but just 10% of CS graduates. If we can work towards closing these gaps, we will not only address a major economic challenge, but also a profound issue of social equity and inclusion.
The Align MS in CS is an onramp designed to bring a diversity of race, gender and thought into America’s tech workforce. It differs from other MS in CS programs in several key ways:
• It is intended specifically for students who did not earn an undergraduate degree in CS.
• It begins with two semesters of Align academic bridge courses (“the bridge”) to prepare students for Master’s level work.
• It emphasizes work experience, leveraging Northeastern’s famous co-op program and a network of 400+ corporate partners in tech.
• It is taught at night and year-round so students can finish in 2-2.5 years,
• It is offered at tech hubs across the country (Boston, Charlotte, Seattle, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley, with more locations to come),
• It seeks to amplify impact by collaborating with other higher ed institutions to scale this solution.
Our pilot to date has demonstrated strong employment outcomes, with graduates landing top jobs and leading firms and earning average salaries of $100,000 or more. Unlike code academies, our graduates are prepared for tech leadership career paths. Unlike undergraduate programs, the program takes 2-2.5 years to complete. And, most importantly, half of our graduates will be women and 25% will be underrepresented minorities.
• Candidates must hold a PhD in Computer Science or related field and have 15 years of experience in academia
• Candidates must have experience in the introductory sequence for computer science majors both in teaching and curricular development
• Candidates must have a distinguished career in the computing field that would qualify for the title of Professor of the Practice.
• Expertise in applying machine learning to assess and drive outcomes is a plus but not required.
About Northeastern University Khoury College of Computer Sciences
Khoury College of Computer Sciences (Khoury College) has 1900 undergraduate, 1600 MS students and 200 PhD students. The college offers 3 BS , 7 MS, and 4 PhD programs and has 64 tenured/tenure-track and 35 teaching faculty. Research and publications put Khoury in the top 20 computer science research programs in the nation. In the last five years, the faculty and student populations have doubled in size and this growth is ongoing. As part of Northeastern’s famous co-op program, Khoury works with more than 400 companies, and last year placed nearly 1100 students in co-op positions.
ABOUT THE ROLE: Global Director, the Align Program
We seek a mission-focused, strategic, seasoned academic leader to guide the ongoing growth and impact of Align. In 2019, Align student body totaled 700 students – by 2022, we aim to triple this number to more than 2,000 students. In addition, we aim to play a leadership role in the replication of this kind of approach at schools across the country.
The Global Director will lead the growth of the Align program across all campuses and will work closely with the Directors of CS and local department chair at each of the five campuses (Boston, Charlotte, Seattle, San Francisco, San Jose). The Global Director will have final responsibility for all aspects of the Align bridge curriculum as well as key co-curricular aspects, and will help to set the standards and protocols for recruiting, admissions, teaching practices, etc. Finally, the Global Director will support fundraising and marketing efforts as needed, collaborating with colleagues in advancement and marketing. This role will report to Carla Brodley, Dean of Khoury College.
A successful Global Director will be able to shape and direct a rapidly scaling program, ensure consistency and quality across geographies, collaborate and communicate cross-functionally, and empower and motivate others to deliver high-impact results.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a mission-driven academic with strong leadership skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
• Oversee the Align bridge curriculum and work with faculty across campuses to support its implementation, capture learnings and refine as needed.
• Directly manage and partner with Campus Directors of CS at each location to ensure high quality implementation of the program, alignment with standards where appropriate, student satisfaction, and continuous improvement. Hire new Campus Directors of CS as new campus locations open and as otherwise needed.
• Working with the Dean and other university leaders, help design and roll out a systemic change effort to replicate Align’s approach and impact at other colleges and universities.
• Lead strategic and annual planning processes for Align and work with direct reports on implementation and continuous improvement.
• Oversee data analysis and evaluation in order to assess the program’s impact and effectiveness.
• Partner with marketing, recruiting and admissions teams to inform strategies and support enrollment goals.
• Act as ambassador for the program, participating in outreach, recruiting and fundraising events as needed.
• Collaborate with Dean and Associate Deans on development of additional Align Masters programs (e.g., Align Masters in Data Science) and other offerings as appropriate and strategic.
BENCHMARKS OF SUCCESS WILL INCLUDE:
• Progress towards goal of 1,000 new students per year
• Application demographics that include 50% women and 25% underrepresented minorities
• 100% client satisfaction with program
• 100% job placement for graduates
• Significant growth in number of corporate partners, number of work experience opportunities, number of scholarships
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1400171
Northeastern University Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX, and an ADVANCE institution. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Northeastern University embraces the wealth of diversity represented in our community and seeks to enhance it at all levels. Northeastern University is an E-Verify employer.