Identify about a dozen game-changing advances from computing research conducted in the past 20 years. Heres what we mean:
- The advance needs to be “game changing,”in the sense of dramatically altering how we think about computing and its applications.
- The importance of the advance needs to be obvious and easily appreciated by a wide audience.
- There needs to be a clear tie to computing research (or to infrastructure initiatives that build upon research and were sponsored by computing research organizations).
- We’re particularly interested in highlighting the impact of federally-funded university-based research.
To start the conversation, they’ve picked four examples:
- The Internet and the World Wide Web as we know them today
- Cluster Computing
- Computational Science
Agree? Disagree? Have others to suggest? You can do it all by heading to the thread on the CCC Blog and adding your two (or more) cents.