University of California San Diego
Halicioğlu Data Science Institute
The University of California, San Diego invites applications from outstanding candidates for a tenured faculty position with primary appointment in the Halicioğlu Data Science Institute. The appointment will be at the Associate/Full Professor level. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
Successful appointees will have a track record of scientific accomplishments, excellence in teaching, university and professional service, and a commitment to support diversity, equity and inclusion at the university. The University of California, San Diego is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff and student body.
We study principles, techniques, and tools for acquiring, managing, and analyzing large and complex datasets throughout their whole lifecycle. We build and deploy software systems and software-hardware integrated systems to aid data-driven decision making and responsible data science in both the digital and the physical worlds.
We seek applicants with extraordinary research records relevant to data science that concern security and privacy (broadly understood) for all levels — including persons, devices, and systems — and all aspects of data science — including collection, analysis, management, and reuse.
We especially encourage applications from candidates with a track record of building tools and/or artifacts, and also demonstrated impact on major data science application domains (e.g., healthcare, medical devices, social networks) or societal infrastructures (e.g., transportation, smart grids, smart cities, cloud computing).
This position requires teaching of university students. A successful applicant will teach three courses per year at the undergraduate and/or graduate level on relevant topics. In addition, all formally appointed faculty in HDSI are expected to participate in mentoring undergraduate students’ year-long capstone projects.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
PhD in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field.
Record of published research in Data Science and/or related fields.
We are looking for applicants with outstanding research credentials at the Associate or Full Professor level. Successful applicants are expected to lead a vigorous research program and will be required to teach university students. We are particularly seeking faculty passionate about working with graduate students and training the next generation of researchers.
• Cover Letter
• Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
• Statement of Research
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our http://facultydiversity.ucsd.edu/recruitment/contributions-to-diversity.html site for more information.
• Statement of Teaching
• Teaching Evaluations (Optional)
• Misc / Additional (Optional)
• COVID-19 Impact Statement – We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic may have had a substantial impact on academic productivity. In our academic hiring processes, we will be keeping this in mind as we consider achievement relative to opportunity. We encourage you to reflect on constraints on opportunity in your field that were caused by the events of the pandemic and where applicable, to discuss your achievements in this light.
• Institutional Reference Check – UC San Diego requires all candidates for academic appointments with tenure or security of employment to complete, sign, and upload the form entitled “Authorization to Release” into RECRUIT as part of their application. Additional information is available online: https://aps.ucsd.edu/recruitment/background_check/
• 3-5 required (contact information only)
For additional information, please visit https://apptrkr.com/3660549