University of Pittsburgh
School of Computing and Information
As the University of Pittsburgh’s newest school, the School of Computing and Information (SCI) is a growing interdisciplinary community of faculty, staff and students who are accustomed to thinking beyond boundaries and innovating new approaches to lead our institution and nation to positive change. SCI’s interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research and education spans computer science, informatics and networked systems, data science and information culture and data stewardship with rich connections to partners in education, health sciences, medicine, engineering, social sciences, business and other areas.
We are conducting a search for visiting teaching faculty positions in computer science, information science, and data science. The School of Computing and Information is committed to hiring the next generation of faculty who will teach both undergraduate and graduate courses in various disciplines. As we build and expand the school, it is also crucial that we continue to strengthen our leadership in addressing underrepresentation by fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for students, faculty, and staff.
About the Position
At the School of Computing and Information, we pride ourselves on supporting and recognizing our teaching faculty. Our visiting positions are one-year academic appointments. These positions offer exciting opportunities to teach and develop novel undergraduate and graduate programs in computer science, information science, library science, and networked systems, including the rethinking of curricula to reflect emerging concepts, new skills, and the integration of computing and information into other disciplines. We strongly encourage applications from scholars who have experience working with diverse students and have made an investment in embedding inclusion in their teaching. Individuals filling these openings will have a unique opportunity to develop inclusive curricula foundational to an intellectually vibrant and successful academic community.
· Applicants must hold a PhD in Computer Science, Information Science, Library Science, or a related area, by the time of the appointment.
· Demonstrated ability to teach at the undergraduate and graduate level.
· Demonstrate interest and competence in working with participants from diverse backgrounds and share our team’s dedication to equity and social equity.
· 5 to 10 years of work experience.
Individuals interested in these openings may apply here. Please provide the following
· A cover letter that reflects on your interest and alignment to SCI’s teaching mission
· A curriculum vitae
· A teaching statement describing your teaching philosophy
· A diversity statement that highlights your experiences with diversity in teaching as well as service, and your potential to support SCI’s commitment to building and fostering an inclusive environment
· The names and contact information for at least three recommenders
· Teaching evaluations if available
Application review will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We anticipate that individuals will be invited to interview on campus starting in February 2024. For best consideration, please apply by January 15, 2024. The anticipated start date is September 2024.
Questions about the search and or application status should be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity, EOE, including disability/vets.