Applications are now open for the MGB-SIAM Early Career (MSEC) Fellowship. The MSEC Fellowship recognizes the achievements of early career applied mathematicians – particularly those belonging to racial and ethnic groups historically excluded from the mathematical sciences in the United States – and provides support for professional activities and career development. The MSEC Fellowship reflects a joint commitment by Mathematically Gifted & Black (MGB) and SIAM to promote long-term engagement of MSEC Fellows within SIAM and continued success within the wider applied mathematics and computational sciences community. Apply now through November 15, 2021.
Each year 5-8 MSEC Fellowships will be awarded, with a fellowship duration of three years. Multiple opportunities to network within the SIAM community will be provided for these fellows. These may include, but are not limited to, special thematic luncheons, professional development workshops and organization, committee shadowing, cohort-specific activities, and formal and informal mentoring.
MSEC Fellows will receive free SIAM membership for the duration of the fellowship and discounted membership in the four years following. They will also receive travel support and free registration for the SIAM Annual Meeting and one additional SIAM Conference of their choosing (in the U.S. or Canada) during the fellowship, during which they will co-organize at least one minisymposium in their research area. Fellows will also present a talk in at least one Workshop Celebrating Diversity session.
Eligibility Criteria and Required Materials
- Applicant must be within five years of receiving their highest academic degree
- CV/Resume (Maximum 2 pages)
- Applicant Statement (Maximum 500 words): The SIAM community is a diverse collection of practitioners of industrial and applied mathematics, and computational and data science. The applicant statement should provide details describing:
- why the applicant is committed to industrial and applied mathematics, computational science, and data science;
- how the applicant has previously supported and currently supports diversity, equity, and inclusion in their community; and
- what the applicant hopes to get out of the SIAM community as well as what they hope to contribute to the community.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Applicants will be required to provide the names and email addresses of two letter of recommendation writers.
- If selected as a finalist, the letter of recommendation writers will be contacted and prompted to submit a letter for review by the Selection Committee.
For questions, contact the MGB-SIAM Early Career Fellowship Program here.