Women in AI Workshop at IJCAI 2016
July 10-14, 2016
New York City
Hilton Midtown, Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States
Artificial Intelligence, DSW, IJCAI 2016, Maria Gini, New York, Women in AI
This discipline specific set of activities is aimed at creating a network of women and members of other under-represented groups at the IJCAI 2016 conference.
The aims of the planned activities are to:
- build a support network within the greater AI community comprised of students, postdocs and established researchers from under-represented groups
- motivate the participants and get them excited about doing research in AI by having successful researchers engage in conversation with them,act as role models, and talk about AI research;
- reflect on the barriers that women and members of other under-represented groups face and discuss what to do to try to change the situation;
- talk about career paths and the skills necessary to become successful researchers and eventually to obtain a job in academia, government laboratories, or industry.
The activities planned include:
- a dinner meeting the evening of Sunday July 10 with mentoring and networking activities
- an afternoon meeting on Tuesday July 12 for all the women attending the conference and anyone else who is interested .in discussing the issue of how to address the gender imbalance. For additional details see Addressing gender imbalance in AI
- a breakfast the morning of Thursday July 14 to talk about the experience at the conference and to plan future activities.
Organized by Maria Gini and Veronica Dahl
Tuesday July 12, 3:10 to 5:00
A working session for a discussion on issues facing women in AI and CS, with emphasis on possible solutions to increase the number of women in AI. The session is open to anyone (women and men) interested in addressing gender imbalance. The session will include a panel to start the discussion and small group discussions to share best practices.
Partial funding to attend is available for members of under-represented groups who are US citizens or permanent residents.
To apply for funding please submit, the following:
- a 1 or 2 page CV
- a short description of why you would like to participate
to Maria Gini <email@example.com>