Artificial Intelligence Roadmap
In fall 2018, the Computing Community Consortium (CCC) initiated an effort to create a 20-Year Roadmap for Artificial Intelligence, led by Yolanda Gil (University of Southern California and President of AAAI) and Bart Selman (Cornell University and President-Elect of AAAI). The goal of the initiative was to identify challenges, opportunities, and pitfalls in the AI landscape, and to create a compelling report to inform future decisions, policies, and investments in this area.
The Roadmap was based on broad community input gathered via a number of forums and communication channels: three topical workshops during the fall and winter of 2018/2019, a Town Hall at the annual meeting of the AAAI, and feedback from other groups of stakeholders in industry, government, academia, and the agencies. A draft of the Roadmap was made available on 13 May 2019 for comment by the computing research community. Following the comment period and further revision, the final version was released on August 6, 2019.
- Executive Summary (5 pages)
- Introduction (5 pages)
- Major Findings (4 pages)
- Recommendations (22 pages)
- Major Societal Drivers for Future Artificial Intelligence Research (4 pages)
- Core Technical Areas of AI Research Roadmap
- Conclusions (1 pages)
- Appendices (participants and contributors; 2 pages)
- The CCC’s Robotics Roadmap, released in 2009 and revised in 2016, which helped launch the National Robotics Initiative in 2011.
- NITRD Working Group: on 27 June 2018, OSTP and the newly formed Select Committee on AI approved the formation of a new NITRD AI R&D IWG.
- National Artificial Intelligence Research And Development Strategic Plan, published in October 2016.
- July 2018 monthly address by National Science Foundation (NSF) Director France Cordova, highlighting the need for advances in AI.
- Video and Q&A from the town hall Roadmap presentation at AAAI 2019.
Please submit ideas and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in learning more and being involved? Subscribe for announcements here