Nominees Sought for CRA Board of Directors
The Computing Research Association seeks your help in suggesting nominations for its board of directors. We want individuals who have the time, energy, initiative, and resources to work on CRA issues on behalf of the entire CRA community. We have a working board, and all members are expected to work on community issues.
The board provides the membership for various standing committees, including the Government Affairs, Snowbird Conference, Taulbee Survey, Finance, and Elections committees. In addition, issues affecting computing research arise unexpectedly, and board members must take the initiative and lead CRA’s responses. Many CRA committees and initiatives involve year-round attention, regular conference calls, communications with lab directors and department chairs, proposal writing, and sometimes travel at the expense of the individual board member.
The board, as a whole, meets twice a year, with travel and hotel costs paid by the individual members. Board members serve staggered three-year terms. At the discretion of the Elections Committee and based upon a member’s proactive service record during the expiring term, members wishing to stand for re-election may be included on the draft ballot. There is a three term limit. Candidates do not need to be affiliated with CRA member organizations. New this year, we are allowing self-nominations from candidates.
Recent board activities include:
- Working with the computing research community to envision the future of computing research
- Increasing the participation of women and minorities in computing research
- Thinking strategically about computing education and its impact on the research enterprise
- Testifying before Congress and meeting with policymakers to explain the role of computing and computing research
- Developing workshops on critical policy issues
- Planning the biennial CRA conference at Snowbird
- Conducting the annual CRA Taulbee Survey
- Monitoring CRA’s budget and expenses
Important dates and events:
- The deadline for receipt of nominations is December 2, 2016. The Elections Committee will carefully consider all nominations, with the aim of a final ballot containing about twice as many candidates as there are open slots. Important criteria considered by the committee will include distribution of candidates and current board members among member institutions, distribution among types and sizes of institutions, leadership qualities, and evidence of interest in and capacity for service beyond that expected of all faculty members and researchers
- On January 13, 2017, the Elections Committee will announce the draft ballot. Additional names may be added by the CRA community (as described below)
- On February 3, 2017, nominations by petition are due. Each such nomination must be signed by the heads of at least 10 constituent member organizations that are current in dues payment. Current CRA members are listed at https://cra.org/about/membership/member-list/
- On February 10, 2017, final ballots will be distributed to all CRA department chairs and lab directors. Each will have one vote for each open slot on the board
- On February 24, 2017, completed ballots must be returned to CRA
Click here to fill out a nomination form. Additional information on CRA and its activities is available at https://cra.org/about/. Questions can be sent to email@example.com.