The mission of Computing Research Association’s (CRA) Computing Community Consortium (CCC) is to enable the pursuit of innovative, high-impact research that aligns with pressing national and global challenges.
In accordance with the mission, the CCC is issuing a new call for proposals for visioning activities that will catalyze innovative research at the frontiers of computing. Successful activities will articulate new research visions, galvanize community interest in those visions, mobilize support for those visions from the computing research community, government leaders, and funding agencies, and encourage broader segments of society to participate in computing research and education.
This guide shares further insight about the visioning process, from idea conception through program formation. It includes suggested activities, sample wording, and a timeline. Past examples of visioning activities can be found here.
From the solicitation:
A well-formulated proposal should do the following:
- Describe the visioning topic area and its current state of development within the field,
- Explain the proposed activities in detail (if more than one activity, be sure to demonstrate the differences between the activities, the rationale for more than one activity, and the mechanisms to coordinate across activities),
- Connect the activity and the vision: how does the former support/foster the latter?
- Justify why this vision and this activity are appropriate now,
- Specify the intended outcomes of the activity, and
- Describe how those outcomes can be used to advance the visioning topic area.
A complete proposal must also
- Identify the organizing committee,
- Include brief biographical sketches of the organizers,
- Propose a representative set of potential invitees (be sure to include representation from industry, policy and funding organizations),
- Provide a draft budget with justification, and
- Articulate how the success of the activity and its outcomes can be assessed.
If you have ideas or topics for visioning, please consider submitting a proposal. The CCC Director, Ann Schwartz, is happy to discuss your ideas for the community and encourages you to submit a Letter of Intent (of no more than one-page) addressing the high-level ideas.
For CCC planning purposes, proposals with start dates prior to Winter 2022 should be submitted by May 15, 2022. Proposals should be no more than six pages in length. They should describe the existing or potential vision(s) and proposed activities in detail, including how the larger community will be engaged.
We look forward to discussing your ideas with you!